ulive & POPSUGAR Release Findings that Explore Emotional Connection Between Women and Digital Lifestyle Videos
San Francisco, CA and New York, NY – April 24, 2014 – The findings of a new study were released today, exploring how women integrate lifestyle video into their lives, its impact on purchasing behavior and how brands can benefit from aligning with premium, lifestyle content. The study, which focused on U.S. women, ages 18-49, was jointly commissioned by ulive, the online lifestyle video brand from Scripps Networks Interactive, Inc. (NYSE: SNI) and POPSUGAR, a global lifestyle media and technology company, and conducted by Ipsos OTX.
"One of the most interesting findings is the desire women have for content that is positive in tone. With the large amount of negative and salacious commentary found on the web, women increasingly seek funny, profound and inspirational videos that are compelling and entertaining," says Rob McLoughlin, vice president of POPSUGAR Insights.
"Women seek out and value lifestyle videos for two main reasons: To learn something new about a topic they care about and to be entertained, wherever they are," says Lisa Choi Owens, COO of ulive. "This combination of learning and entertainment works well for brands to engage this valuable demographic as well as further understand their purchasing behaviors."
- Women watch video that both entertains and inspires. Women are seeking videos that are genuinely trying to educate, offer interesting, informative content and motivate them to take action. A large majority of women say that lifestyle video entertains them (74%) and helps them learn (71%), inspiring them to try something new (60%).
- Lifestyle video motivates women to share and take action. After watching lifestyle videos, 66% of women seek more information, including information about brands, and 60% share the videos with both friends and family offline and online via social media.
- Video is an effective way for brands to engage with women. Women are open to hearing from brands and take action when relevant brands are appropriately presented in their favorite lifestyle video content. In fact, 54% of women watch lifestyle videos to learn more about products and brands, and 50% of avid lifestyle video consumers (women who stream 240+ minutes of lifestyle content a month) have visited a site or brick and mortar store to purchase the product they saw advertised in a lifestyle video.
- Women strongly prefer high quality video that is authentic, concise and positive in tone. The most avid lifestyle video consumers seek video content that is fun to watch (59%) authentic and real (48%), featuring hosts that are passionate about the topic (38%).
- Women seek tips and advice from streaming video content at home. Due to women's increasingly busy lifestyles, they are turning to online videos to teach them new skills such as exercises and make-up techniques, instead of traditional in-person instruction. For example, 54% of women would rather watch a video on how to apply makeup than get their makeup done in a department store, and 53% of women would rather exercise at home via video than at the gym with a personal trainer.
- Women have clearly defined views of what they'd like to see in the lifestyle videos they consume. The study shows that 49% of women want to see more videos that provide "how-to instructions" on how to accomplish the task, cook the meal, get the look or learn an exercise. Women want more personalization, including content that is based on their interests (46%) and is short and high quality (30%).
POPSUGAR and ulive are leading producers of original lifestyle content, and together, their distribution reaches tens of millions of women every month. For a deeper look into the findings of this joint research study, please visit POPSUGAR Insights (insights.popsugar.com).
POPSUGAR and Scripps Networks Interactive will be participating in the NewFronts on May 1 and April 30, respectively. For more information see media contacts below.
POPSUGAR and ulive partnered with Ipsos OTX on a study that was conducted in two parts. First, Ipsos OTX conducted a qualitative research phase to understand women's attitudes towards lifestyle video. For the purposes of this study, "lifestyle" content referred to topics that include entertainment, fashion, beauty, food/cooking, parenting, wellness/health/fitness, home/garden, smart living/personal technology and travel. Next, Ipsos OTX fielded a quantitative survey of 524 U.S. women between the ages of 18-49. The survey was recruited with demographic and video usage quotas to ensure national representation along with statistical rigor. The study was fielded in April of 2014.
POPSUGAR Inc. is a global media and technology company at the intersection of content and commerce — online, on mobile, and at your door. POPSUGAR.com is the go-to destination for the biggest moments, the hottest trends and the best tips in entertainment, celebrity, fashion, beauty, fitness, food and parenting. In addition to the best original lifestyle content, POPSUGAR's growing portfolio of commerce brands includes ShopStyle, the leading fashion search engine, and POPSUGAR Must Have, a monthly subscription box featuring editor-curated products. Targeting women 18-40, POPSUGAR draws over 21M users worldwide, 50M live and on-demand video views, and half a billion in annual retail revenue. POPSUGAR Inc. is a privately held company funded by Sequoia Capital and Institutional Venture Partners with offices in Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, and London. For more information, visit POPSUGAR.com and follow @POPSUGAR on Twitter.
ulive is a digital lifestyle video brand for today's busy consumer. Owned and operated by Scripps Networks Interactive (NYSE: SNI), ulive expands on Scripps' lifestyle promise: To bring the best videos to viewers wherever and whenever they want them. At the center is www.ulive.com, a premium video portal, home to thousands of lifestyle videos from brands you know and trust – including Food Network, HGTV, Travel Channel, Cooking Channel, DIY Network and Great American Country – as well as premium third-party videos and more than 80 original series from beloved TV stars and hot, new digital talent. The ulive Lifestyle Network (ULN), our video distribution network, delivers premium video content across a curated ecosystem of lifestyle publishers. With videos covering food, home, travel, parenting, wellness, beauty and fashion, ulive entertains and informs to help you make the most out of life. Whatever you live for, find great videos about it on ulive!